SURFING AT PELAN PELAN
There is no better place to learn (better) surfing than at our surf and yoga retreat in Bali. Year-round waves and perfect weather make Bali ideal for both beginners and advanced surfers. No need for a wetsuit, just put on some sunscreen, a bikini or board shorts and you're ready to go into the water!
Our surf school and retreat is based just outside Canggu. Many of the best surf spots in Bali are close by and where our local teachers will take you depends on each individual's level and ability. You can look up our local surf conditions and forecast at Canggu Surf Report and Forecast.
Every day we pick a surf spot based on the level of our students and the conditions of the waves. Bali has plenty of surf spots to offer and we know where to find a wave that suits you!
WHAT’S MY SURF LEVEL?
You are a beginner if:
- It’s your first time surfing.
- You have tried surfing before but still struggle with paddling and standing up on the surfboard.
You are a beginner-intermediate if:
- You have tried surfing several times.
- You can stand up with minimal help and ride straight on the white water waves.
- You can turn left or right on the waves.
You are an intermediate if:
- You have been surfing for weeks, months or years.
- You can independently surf green waves and turn left or right on the waves.
- You would like to get more control of your surfboard and do basic turns.
- You have control of your surfboard and can turn to change directions; you want to practice bottom, top turns and cutbacks.
WHAT YOU CAN LEARN AT PELAN PELAN'S SURF SCHOOL
Ever dared to surf the wonderful waves of Bali?
The beginner surf lessons at Pelan Pelan Bali begin with covering the basics on the beach – including how to handle the surfboard, paddle out, catch waves and stand up.
Our highly experienced and friendly instructors will ensure you are fully prepared before jumping into action and will guide you every step of the way. They will happily answer your questions and assist you if you have any concerns to make your surfing in Bali experience the most memorable one!
LEVEL 1 :
BEGINNER SURF COACHING
You always wanted to try surfing. The beginners surf lessons begin on the beach, with explanation how to handle the surfboard, paddle out, catch waves and stand up.
WHAT YOU CAN LEARN WITH LEVEL 1 COACHING:
- Practice your stand up on the beach.
- Safety rules in the water.
- Paddling techniques.
- How to paddle through the white water.
- How to stand up on your surfboard and the correct body position to maintain balance.
- How to catch the waves.
- How to ride the waves.
WATCH OUR VIDEO ON BEGINNER SURFING
Learn to surf with Pelan Pelan Bali!
LEVEL 2 :
BEGINNER - INTERMEDIATE SURF COACHING
Even if you have taken surf lessons before, you may have a lot more to learn. Understanding the basics of surfing and the ocean will help you tons to improve your surfing. Our surf guides will get the time to observe your surfing and see what you need to improve. You will have more fun in the water.
WHAT YOU CAN LEARN WITH LEVEL 2 COACHING:
- How to read the waves
- Improve your paddling technique
- Improve your body position and balance
- Improve your stand up on the surfboard
- Surf priority rules
- Transition from big to a smaller surfboard
- How to catch green waves
- How to turn
WATCH OUR VIDEO ON THE BASICS OF SURFING
Refresh your surf knowledge and skills with Pelan Pelan!
LEVEL 3 :
INTERMEDIATE SURF COACHING
The better you surf, the more fun you will have in the water. With intermediate surf coaching you will get tips to improve your surf technique and quality of the waves choose to ride.
WHAT YOU CAN LEARN WITH LEVEL 3 COACHING:
- Choose the right wave
- Try different surfboard shapes
- Duck dive
- Improve your bottom and top turns
- Practice cutbacks
- Improve your position on the surfboard.
- How to get more speed
Ride your first wave!
Master the basics before getting in action.
Fun in the sun catching kiddie waves!
With our Surf package, you'll learn how to surf like a pro in no time! (Maximum two guests per surf instructor)
Professional Surf School in Canggu Bali
To get the best surf experience, we tailor all lessons to fit your personal ability and needs. At Pelan Pelan Retreat, we make sure that all our guests receive a personalized attention, catering to each individual's requirements. Pelan Pelan's surf teachers have years of teaching experience and possess the essential local surf knowledge to provide the best possible surf courses in Bali.
Our instructors grew up around Canggu - they know the waves by heart. Prior to all surf sessions, we decide on the best spot and time by taking into consideration the tide, swell and your personal skills and ability. Beginner or advanced, you will catch your wave with us!
Personal surf lessons
Each morning, our Balinese surf teachers take you to the brilliant beaches of Bali (based on where the waves are best) where they teach surf lessons that are designed especially for you! At our Surf School, we have a maximum capacity of 2 persons per surf teacher - it's like having a private instructor personally looking after you! Surf lessons at all levels are given from Monday to Friday and extra surf lessons are done on the weekends.
A surf lesson with Pelan Pelan Surf School is inclusive of:
- Between 3-5 hours surf time per session
- A surfboard based on your level
- Transport from Pelan Pelan Retreat to the beach
- One or two introductory lessons to start off – if you’re not confident to commit to surfing yet
- 5 lessons to start off – if you want to learn surfing correctly
Things to note:
- 10 surf lessons in Bali can improve your skills tremendously!
- The best surfer is the one having the most fun
- A surfer regards the environment and does not litter the ocean or beaches
- A surfer respects the power of nature and always takes care of safety first
- Go explore the fun of surfing with our experienced teachers
Advanced surf around Bali
Guided surf sessions are for those wanting to be taken to the best waves in Bali. Our knowledgeable staff are here to ensure you will be at the right spot at the right time. You are not required to provide your own surfboard (although you may), as ours are available for your use.
Our prices and advice is as follows:
- A guided surf session takes around 4-6 hours (always early in the morning)
- Transport from Pelan Pelan Retreat to the beach is included
- Waves are chosen based on your experience and ability
- In your Surf or Get it All package, 5 surf sessions are included, however, you may book extra sessions for the weekend
- Ideal if you just want to surf a lot of brilliant waves!
Free surf around Bali
Bali is blessed with brilliant waves all year round - a good surf spot can be found every day! If you would like to surf on your own on the weekend or after your surf lessons in the morning, feel free to use our scooter for transport to the beach (included in the Get it All Package). Almost every surf spot in Bali is accessible within 2 hours.
- Motorbike rental available
- A scooter costs €5,- per day extra (included for free in the Get it All package)
- We have scooters with a board rack to carry your surf board
CATCH YOUR FIRST WAVE
SURF LESSONS AT CANGGU BEACH
FUN IN THE WAVES
SURF PHOTO ANALYSIS
JUNIOR SURF COACHING